Tuesday, June 23, 2009

favorite chairs

my favorite chair 




I wonder if others have a favorite chair like I do? I have been in love with this wooden captain's chair ever since I first laid eyes on it back in 1988. It was part of the furniture I inherited from now long dead friend named Harry Powers. I think it is an old chair for several reasons. First the seat was made from  a single board 19 inches (48 cm) wide. Have you ever seen a board that was 19 inches wide? Angles and some of the parts in the chair ares a little irregular. These irregularities accentuate the hand made quality of the chair. The spokes and rungs are not all the same diameter, some are thicker than others. Lately I have resumed drawing sketches in my pocket book of my favorite things including this chair. My friend Michael Nobbs in Wales says we should draw our lives. I think this chair is part of my life, a thing I cherish and an object that makes me happy when I sit on it or just notice it is here. Michael draws a lot of tea cups and that is a big part of his life. He also has a nice booklet you can download, print and assemble with some simple ideas about how to begin drawing your life. It is free, so go check it out! Start to Draw Your Life
Today I posted a photo and my drawings so you could see that my drawing isn't completely crooked that the chair is a little crooked too. 

No comments: