Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Scottish Highland Games

Keith sampling a modern kilt and the funny sales man with a braided beard.


Last weekend we went to the annual Highland Games in The Plains, VA and it was a delightful afternoon of cultural enrichment. I enjoyed seeing so many men in kilts and hearing fiddlers, pipers and drummers playing Scottish tunes. There was a marching pipe and drum band and dancers to demonstrate the highland styles of dance. There were players amateur and professionals competing for best in a number of unheard of sports.
Caber toss, bale toss and others that I don't recall but mostly the prize it was for the highest, furthest or best throw of something heavy. Rescued Scottish breed dogs were looking for caring homes, Clans were seeking to find lost family members. Food was plentiful and kilts were for sale. One of my favorite things to see is also the border collies herding sheep. I took a few pictures but mostly I just enjoyed the sights and sounds. You can see some of my pictures and a few little films on my flickr page.

No comments: