Monday, September 17, 2012

DC Modern Quilt Guild


Williamsburg fence blocks ready for backing. 
Saturday I went to my first quilt guild meeting. It was an all day sewing affair with about a dozen artists who work with fabric to do wonderful things. The meeting space was perfect for sewing and that is what we did from 10-4PM there were tables and we brought our tools. The goal was to get some work done on a charity 100 quilts for children. I am still trying to figure out how to use my vintage sewing machine to do quilting on a big fabric sandwich. I had my 3x5" quilt top the Williamsburg Fence design ready to quilt. I laid it out twice to pin it together with the batting and the backing just right. I got there on time to help set up in North Arlington at a beautiful new library community room. We had tables with plugs and plenty of space light and chairs. It was perfect. The group was welcoming and I really had a great time. I got lots of tips from everyone but especially Elle who also gave a demo on some triangle squares. I only took a few photos at the end just to show that I was there and help me remember a few faces for future meetings. The green and white project is going on hold until I get a walking foot attachment to make the machine quilting work correctly. I tried but it didn't work with the straight foot I have.
Today we head to the bay for a week of creative work in Molly's red cottage! I can't wait.
Thanks to everyone at the guild for making me feel so welcome and normal. I can't wait for next month's meet up in the NGA sculpture garden. I have to bring some rose star English paper pieced blocks to show and who knows what else...

Jessie was a sweetheart and brought her Dresden plate Epp applique blocks to show me but I didn't know she wanted to see mine until I met her... Next time Jessie~!

I sat next to Carrie who is due in Dec. and was making that great star pattern block you can see in the next photo. 

Two projects begun at the meet up. 

Elle there with her blue shirt and back to us was the most help to me with my first time machine quilting project and she demonstrated a cool block trick for triangle squares. 

Jelly roll in red turquoise and whites makes us all smile


Williamsburg with pins

with backing and batting and ready to sew


the problem with my machine stitching without the walking foot is the bunching of the fabric. 


No comments: