Sunday, March 3, 2013

a few things


double orange tulips Keith brought me this morning opened right away
This week I have been feeling out of sync with the world. Trying to keep getting along with my daily routines to get to the next day waiting to feel excited about something. Next week the annual Manassas Quilt show is coming. I am looking forward to going to see the show with my partner and Mom, this is our 5th year going. To me it is always an inspiration.  In the mean time I have been working on a quilt project in greens and tested a couple blocks. Quilting patterns by hand versus machine quilting in a right angle zig zag design. Below is a peek at the greens... and my hand with thimbles using a green pearl thread to hand quilt the block.


A new pair of rubber finger tipped gloves to make machine quilting easier arrived in the mail. Machingers (see gloves here) is the brand a friend from the DC Modern Quilt Guild showed me at one of the meetings last year. Linda blogs at I Finally Have Time and she does a great variety projects and says she uses them all the time. I tried hers on  so I finally bought my own pair to use when I begin machine quilting a full sized bed quilt in the not too distant future. Thanks again Linda!

Friday to get a chore done transmitting some medical records to my doctor's office I just drove them over in person. Afterwards I stopped into Miss Pixie's second hand shop across the street and found two things I brought home that always lift my spirits a little. Crystals to hang in my east facing windows to fill the room with spectral color early in the day and a little Japanese box to add to my small box collection.


this crystal is about 3 inches long 

Japanese wooden box with enamel painted and wood burnt decorations 

showing the sides that are textured with burnt wood marks. 

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh, lucky you- I haven't been secondhand shopping in a while now. (I feel like I've been in hibernation this winter, haven't been doing anything!) But I just love the thrill of finding something I've never seen before.
Sweet that you found some little treasures. they are sure to brighten your day each time you catch a glimpse of them!

Anonymous said...

Do you like the gloves? I thought of you when I used mine today! Lynne and I have made plans to go to the Manassas show on Saturday. Maybe we'll see you there.
Linda F.

Frederick Nunley said...

Thanks Jessie, I love to go browse the Miss Pixie's shop downtown on 14th and R. streets and really all 2nd hand shops are fun.
Linda F. I tried them on and have been working hard to get my big quilt ready to go under the needle when I will put the new gloves to good use. First I have to finish the back and baste my layers... and summon the courage to begin! We are going to the Manassas show on Sunday :-( hope you have a good time!