Monday, July 27, 2009

heat makes us slow

new books completed today

three new Irish linen beeswaxed threads

I am suffering from the heat this summer in a different way. We have been enjoying the energy savings of living without air conditioning during the days this summer except when the themometer goes over 90ºF . Like I said earlier, in Washington DC that means it is muggy ninety degrees which feels more like 100º in the house. Today was not that hot so we have been hanging out without the air conditioner. I feel kind of lazy but I have drawing group tonight where I can make it cool and I did have a good start to the day before I got the bogged down feeling this afternoon. I finished sewing two new books to add to the 9 I have completed for the Light in October crafts sale. I used the new supplies I bought from last week's trip to the Bookmaker's supply shop out in old college park maryland. There I got some new yards of book cloth and these fine imported linen thread coated with beeswax to make them stick in a knot when I use them in the book binding process. I was dying to have some new colors but they are very expensive and they last for ever. Both made me hesitate to choose but I got home and realized I now have a rainbow of colors. Original threads were red, natural linen and navy blue, the new colors I got are all secondary colors on the color wheel. Orange ( you know I wanted that before but I didn't get it until now) dark green and purple. So my first book was ready to sew with purple today I completed an orange book and next will be a dark green book.
The garden is still going strong but it may be a little tired of the heat too. Day lilies are almost done but the summer phlox are doing great and there are blue balloon flowers and colorful coleus this year a new addition. You can go see some of my recent photos on flickr from the garden. I don't post them all here on the blog.
Hope you are all enjoying your summer slow and easy.

No comments: