Thursday, May 16, 2013

Quilting for Mom

Improvisational block quilted pillow case
Last week in a sweat I worked up a little patchwork project and developed a gift for my mother. I worked up a design of strips using the same improvisational technique I have been doing in orange for that big quilt. This project was inspired  by a fat quarter of fabric my high school pal Valerie gave me a while back. We explored all sorts of Appalachian traditions  during our Junior and Senior years in high school together including quilting and dancing to blue grass bands at festivals.  Her choice really set my imagination running. I love the Ottoman/Mongol theme of this fabric which reminds me of the Persian and Mongol (Indian) miniature paintings seen at Sackler Asian Art Museum down town. The colors in the print are some of my Mother's favorites so I had to keep adding more to my stash and the DC Modern Quilter Guild's scrap exchange last month really helped expand my choices for the improvisational block building.
Last year's pillow the Rose Star in purples 
Last year I did a Rose Star English paper pieced pillow design. So this year it's a new cover done by machine with machine quilting.

fabric strips and pieces laying on the ironing board ready to sew

Finished and ready to use by Mom. 
Mom doing her word search puzzle in the big teal chair (soft focus) 


another block in my purple green theme with the Mongol towers in the center


No comments: