Saturday, November 15, 2008

November is chrysanthemum month

pink chrysanthemums
The wild Chinese chrysanthemums in our yard have been extra beautiful this year. I don't know how it happened,  but from the one color we had the first year when it was just a few branches, to now as a whole flower bed full, it has developed a rainbow of colored blooms. Red, rust, yellow, beige, pink, and magenta. Add to those a few from domestic plants and we have had a nice year end to the blooming season.
Since I got home from Williamsburg life has been busy and fun. This time of year is great for art museums and visiting friends. Last week I saw the new exhibits at National Gallery of Art including the new show from Pompeii and other cities surrounding the volcano the erupted and buried them in 79 AD. Also a master works show of Dutch artist Jan Lievens who was friends with Rembrandt and painted his portrait into many of his works. I got to show my pals the Indian paintings still hanging I wrote about earlier by George de Forest Brush. I am looking forward to my next visit to the gallery because this is a great place to get out for a stroll through the grand halls of beautiful art works free and accessible to all who come. 


No comments: