Saturday, June 19, 2010

botanical gardens

the gardeners sometimes talk on cell phones while they work
odd relative of the Yucca a native "rattlesnake master" plant caught my eye in bloom
mourning dove and sparrows were bathing together in a stream
"Dan Mahony" was kind of pink
even orange day lily has a new twist at the botanical gardens
"Wayside King Royale" was one of my favorites in the shade the yellow throat seemed to glow
water features always make the gardens more restful and invite birds and people to enjoy the cooling green... note the closeness of federal offices in the background
white day lily shows all sorts of colors when the background is dark
very tall coneflowers related to black-eyed Susan
no name on this lovely lacy patch of day lilies but most were labeled clearly
"Dominic" is the name of this dark velvet lily
looks like a thisle but it's the more elegant cardoon
regale trumpet lilies and white perennial sweet peas
this spidery day lily called "red ribbons" was a favorite
a nearly all black bee on the tall verbena was very odd looking
this bumble bee was crawling all over the edges of this group of day lilies like it was covered in honey or opium he seemed to be experiencing some sort of overload
the first day lily that caught my eye was this one that looks a lot like one I have only this is greener in the throat and the petals are a little wider and more substantial.
view over the gardens looking back at the Smithsonian's Museum of the American Indians sandstone curves.

Yesterday I had a date to meet with an old friend who happened to be in town for a national research meeting. On my way down to pick her up and whisk her off to the flower gardens on the national mall she called and said she was not going to be able to get away. I was crushed a little after getting up early and rushing around to be ready for a 9 AM call but I made the most of the effort and kept going. I went right down to the national mall and promptly found parking. Paid my meter and took off with my camera and found lots of beautiful new day lily and other fine sites. The National Botanical gardens run by Smithsonian Institution has a natives garden and roses and a bunch of flowering plants that make it well worth a visit. Perfect sunny weather to be outside I really enjoyed my visit. I spent the rest of the day downloading and editing the photos and scanning sketches which I am still editing. I wanted to show you these images as soon as I could. I hope to see my friend another time and take her to the most beautiful place I know, away from the noise of the city, right smack in the middle of Washington DC.

No comments: