Saturday, June 12, 2010

day lilies have begun opening


If you look carefully you will see "Seductor" has a green throat, past the yellow and red.
here are my newest reds called "Seductor" which is suppose to be scented are still in training pots.
my old favorite red is tall and very hardy but it grows slowly on very tall stems with a deep yellow throat like the oxblood burgundy
my first spider like daylily who's name is also forgotten, has petals about 8 inches long and grows like a tall grass with long thin leaves


this oxblood burgundy color is the first red I found, it is a strong grower which has survived over 20 years in several gardens
burgundy and yellows front the bed and later oranges will fill in the rear of this daylily group
oxblood with deep yellow throat and yellow marked burgundy are from the old flower beds when I first began collecting daylilies in 1987

Thursday just home from Manassas, I discovered this pink daylily about to curl up it's first bloom and rushed to get a snap shot...
I am looking for more of them to bloom tomorrow morning. No name pink daylily this is another rescue from the hounds
almost a pink or peach depending how the light hits them a beautiful dwarf

pinkish peach dwarf daylily sadly no name survived the move from my Mother's flower beds I barely got it to live after a late rescue from the hounds.
blooming close behind Stella D'oro comes this lovely yellow that has more of a star shaped flower
I don't know the name of this yellow daylily but I like it quite a bit.
our Stella D'oro is in a big ceramic pot which it nearly fills
first to bloom is always Stella D'oro the dwarf yellow daylily

My daylily fetish is obvious now. I love them because they are so easy to grow and the expanding variety of colors and shapes that have been developed since I was a kid are so interesting to collect. I remember the native orange day lily that used to grow along the roads and in farm house gardens from long rides down to my grand parents home in South western Virginia. Kind of ugly I thought when I was a kid because they were so tall and only lasted until dusk then withered up. I don't mind that now because it is a hail and hardy plant to have that doesn't need much attention and gives lots of color each and every year. They began blooming at the end of May and I know they will last till mid or late July right through the hottest part of the summer. I also have a few others I am waiting on that I got at the National Arboretum spring plant sale from the Society of Daylily growers. I brought home 5 red and orange varieties. Seductor is the first of them to bloom in temporary pots where I split them up and set them in soil. I like to grow them in pots when they are new to see how they grow and where they might fit in the existing flower beds. I am excitedly expecting a new spidery daylily called "crab legs" from a Maryland Chesapeake bay area lily grower which will be like the yellow with orange and red markings. Last year the newest daylily was a white and it was a delight. More images to come and as always you can go look in my garden photos on flickr. for more images.

No comments: