Thursday, June 19, 2008

bees





I have been happy to have bees in our garden and have been documenting their work on my hosta flowers and many others as the nectar begins to flow and feed our fine winged friends. Recently colony collapse disorder in the honey bee population has been very distressing. K and I were discussing how as kids we had to be careful not to step on them there were so many in our yards feeding on the white clover flowers under foot. Now I don't see much white clover in lawns but when you do there are no bees drinking nectar from them. I read somewhere that clover is no longer in grass mix for lawns. It fell into disfavor a while back. I miss that bit of flower and hunting for four leaf clovers in the grass. My Mom's dad was always able to find four leaf clovers and I don't know if I ever did, but looking was fun. 
I also have some films of bees at work in our garden to share. 

No comments: