Thursday, June 26, 2008

the pink tree

pink tree on 15th St. NW
closeup detail
Earlier this week I went to Dr. and for a nice late lunch afterwards and took my trusty point and shoot Kodak with me and on my walk from one place to the other I realized I wanted to document a wonder. The pink tree on 15th Street NW. I noticed it in spring when the dogwoods were blooming but knew it wasn't one somehow while passing seen from the car window. Then went back with partner Keith to make sure on foot during laundry day walk. Sure enough it was a beech tree with gray bark just like the one in my parents back yard that grew so slowly over the past 45 years except this one has pink leaves instead of green! A quick google for pink beech tree found this cool blog on Blogger called Aroboreality and there is a short article on the tri-color European beech or the latin name Fagus sylvatica'Roseo-Marginata' or Fagus sylatica'Purpurea' and the leaves are shades of red, purple, pink, white and green. 
I like it but wonder if the house shouldn't be another color besides that gray blue to set off the leaves better. None of it is mine, so I don't have to worry about it. 

No comments: