Tuesday, November 15, 2011

orange red and gold walk through brookland's trees

small leaf linden gets yellow 

oaks in gold orange and scarlet red were in the square in front of Brooks Mansion 






the doorway in the distance is the Brooks family Mansion 


I believe the District of Columbia's emblem tree is this scarlet oak the color is so red for several days each autumn before they turn brown.  I wish we had more of them. 
All these trees in one little square area next to Metro parking lot and in front of the the Brooks Mansion that are slated to be cut down to make way for more housing in the not too distant future. It is a nice little square of urban parklike land that happens to belong to the Metro who can do as they please with it in the end. They even planted fruiting plum trees along one edge of the square of land which are picked each year by neighbors and visitors to the area who know when they are ripe. I was just passing by on my way to the post office and knew the colors were going to be pretty good so I took my camera along to see if I could capture some of it before it's history.

No comments: